Well I did it finally, I bought a motherboard

Outlaw69

Banned
just got back from the store and I have in my possession
an Asus A7A266 and a heatsink/fan for the cpu that I will be buying next.

I feel good about this purchase, i'm all tingly. I couldn't afford to buy a whole computer so I'm buying one piece at a time...besides I wanted to build it myself. I"m gonna be an AMD user finally.

Now I have no excuses for not upgrading, I'm locked into building this computer and I couldn't be happier.

Outlaw69

Banned
Heres the specs....

The ASUS A7A266 is a Socket A Motherboard DDR motherboard based on the ALi® M1647 chipset. In addition to significantly enhancing system performance with support of the latest DDR SDRAM, the ASUS A7A266 offers flexibility by also supporting PC133 SDRAM. AMD Athlon/Duron processors of 500MHz up to 1.2+ GHz will benefit from the optimal performance delivered by this ATX motherboard, and you'll effortlessly power through today's most demanding applications like never before.

Higher Bandwidth The ALi M1647 North Bridge enables the ASUS A7A266 to take advantage of faster bus speeds and peak bandwidths of up to 2.1 GB/s. The increased bandwidth from the 200MHz FSB and 266MHz memory bus speeds translate into new levels of performance previously unattainable by slower, higher latency memory standards. With 2 DDR DIMM sockets and support of up to 2GB of DDR SDRAM, the ASUS A7A266 is extremely scalable and capable of the most demanding computing functions.

Flexible Memory The ASUS A7A266 also supports mainstream PC133 SDRAM in addition to the newest high performance DDR SDRAM. 3 DIMMs support up to 3 GB of PC133 SDRAM. No other motherboard offers so much flexibility for your memory configurations.

Optional Audio

Optional high quality audio is achieved with the C-media CMI-8738 chip, which features 4-channel speaker support with 3D surround sound. Optional audio lets you tailor motherboard features to your needs of your system and budget.

Latest AGP

An AGP Pro/4X slot and an ATA 33/66/100 interface allows support of the most advanced graphics cards and hard drives. The implementation of 6 USB ports also gives you ample connectivity and expansion for all the latest peripheral devices.

Spec Summary

Socket A AMD Athlon/Duron processors to 1.2+ GHz
Chipset: ALi M1647 North Bridge and ALi M1535D+ South Bridge
266 MHz Front Side Bus
2 unbuffered DIMMs with up to 2GB of PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM support
3 unbuffered DIMMs with up to 3GB of PC133 SDRAM support
C-Media CMI-8738 PCI 4-channel audio chip (optional)
AGP Pro slot with AGP 4X/2X/1X support
5 PCI slots, 6 USB ports, 2 Serial and 1 Parallel ports
Dual channel Bus Master IDE ports supports ATA-33/66/100
ATX Form Factor
Wakeup on LAN, Wakeup on Ring, chassis intrusion
PC Health MonitoringTM

dimme

Congrats to the new toy, and get yourself a good cpu for it.......and then crush the core ;)
j/k
What cpu are you planning to purchase?
BTW, where can I find a big pic of your avatar?
:)

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Nice purchase! I'm using a board similar to that (A7A266), and love it. Have you laid your hands on the DDR RAM yet?

Outlaw69

Banned
I don't think there is a big version of my avatar.

I'll be getting 512mb of ddr pretty soon... but I'll be getting a 1.4 on my next trip to the store..probably sometime next week I hope.

K

krusty

It's mobo fever... he's got mobo fever.

Your intro sounds like a car advert Outlaw :lol:

"AMD Athlon/Duron processors of 500MHz up to 1.2+ GHz will benefit from the optimal performance delivered by this ATX motherboard, and you'll effortlessly power through today's most demanding applications like never before.

Higher Bandwidth The ALi M1647 North Bridge enables the ASUS A7A266 to take advantage of faster bus speeds and peak bandwidths of up to 2.1 GB/s. The increased bandwidth from the 200MHz FSB and 266MHz memory bus speeds translate into new levels of performance previously unattainable by slower, higher latency memory standards."

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
The Outlaw we know would have never walked PAST the beer store with money in his pocket to buy a mobo. So what I wan to know is:
WHO ARE YOU? AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OUTLAW???

jopes

Your Nightmare
Jay if your planning on overclocking it the best cpu you can get currently is the 1.33 AXIA tbirds.

as for the 1.4's are those paliminos?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
1.4's are still T-birds.

the desktop version of palomino hasn't been released yet