Suicide

kuulani

Yesterday my husband told me that a young man who grew up in our small community committed suicide and that people were gathering at the beach to mourn.

I personally did not know this young man, and I don't know what his reasons were for killing himself ... but I feel that suicide is a really selfish thing to do. I sat there feeling sorry for his family and what he is now putting them through.

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
it happens. sad but true. it is selfish but maybe he felt life wasnt worth it. many times when someone commits suicide its because they dont see a way out. they dont know how it will affect others because they probably feel unloved. my condolences to the mans family. hope theyre doing ok.

HeXp£Øi±

bloody
Who knows the amount of emotional trauma and suffering someone is going through that they become desperate enough to take their own life? The point of suicide is to excape pain so you can say it's selfish. We don't think of it as selfish however when someone who is terminally ill or in great physical pain wants to kill themselves, the pain is physical and easier for us to see so we tend to have empathy. So yeah suicide is selfish. But saying it's selfish does about as much good as calling a terrorist a coward. It really serves no purpose and in fact confuses the issue.

kuulani

HeXp£Øi± said:
Who knows the amount of emotional trauma and suffering someone is going through that they become desperate enough to take their own life?

I just found out why this person committed suicide. He took his own life because he lost a custody hearing, meaning his ex-wife got custody of their daughter.

True, I don't know the emotional trauma he's feeling over losing the custody hearing. But to me, he still could've made an effort to be a part of his daughter's life, even without custody. Now his daughter will never know him.

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
thats sad. just because of that but on that same token how do you know the ex-wife would let him see her? that may have played a role.

kuulani

That's true too.

I just hope that his daughter never finds out the reason her father committed suicide ... that's bound to mess a person up somehow!