Sprint waves goodbye?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
not a good sign

Sprint announces layoffs, DSL cuts
By Reuters
July 12, 2002, 9:30 AM PT

Long-distance telephone company Sprint said Friday that it will cut about 1,200 positions and decommission certain high-speed data platforms in some cities in an effort to cut costs amid the telecommunications industry slowdown.
The company said the cuts in its Global Markets Group will actually affect 1,100 employees. It said they are being made to better position its long-distance organization. The cuts will be implemented over the next several weeks and are not expected to have a material impact on 2002 financial results and cash requirements.

The group will integrate Sprint's E-Solutions Web-hosting sales, mobile-computing consulting, marketing, product and sales support capabilities into Sprint Business, while integrating its customer and technical service operations into Network Services.

The company also said it will decommission, through the Global Markets Group only, the high-speed data (or DSL) platform in cities where Sprint has found a better way to deliver service via an alternative platform or where the high access and infrastructure costs make it difficult to continue service. It said this action does not impact DSL sales and operations through Sprint's Local Telecommunications Division, which operates in 18 states.

"These actions...reflect a need to better unify GMG (Global Markets Group) sales teams and ensure that our valuable customers have streamlined access for total end-to-end solutions from Sprint," Len Lauer, president of Sprint's Global Markets Group, said in a statement.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ACK well there goes DSL in my hood. Good thing i didnt order it.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
There goes DSL in my hood too... oh, wait, Ameritech is the monopoly here, and they don't even have DSL in my area in the first place. :mad:

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Sprint Canada is laying off around 350 people. So far a handfull of managers and most contract workers have been let go. Wife is still working which is all good as she makes 3X what I make.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I'm told that Sprint canada isn't really sprint at all. It's another company, using the sprint name to give them a presence in Canada.