Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
So, we decided to go check out northern Michigan. I wanted to go to Colorado & go camping but we decided against it. We packed up the car & started driving with no real destination in mind. We stopped in Ludington for a short while. Then we started heading north again. My wife fell in love with Manistee. Real pretty little town, right on Lk Michigan. Onward we travel. We decide to stay in Traverse City, a tourist destination to be certain. Nice dinner & to bed.

Day 2 we are going to go to Sleeping Bear to check it out, then go to Mackinac. Well, we got to SBDNL & couldn't leave. It was so nice up there. Mid-70s, light breeze, water was cool but not cold. Screw the bridge, we're going home to get our camping gear. On the way back we stop & drive thru the Pere Stocking scenic drive, with it's little bridge & ancient shores overlook, complete with explanation. Wa also stop at the Dune Climb. Looks interesting but not too hard. Get half way up & think again.]. I did quite well, especially for an old fart & a lifelong smoker. Beat my kid in a race up & a race down. :) Of course, I was not about to finish the climb. After teh last hill is straight donw to the lake. Ugh, lemme think, NO.

Day 3 we load up & drive to back to Manistee. The campgrounds are "booked" but there are a few first come, first serve sites available. We'll get up early & get there. It's about :40 minutes south of the park. dinner & bed.

Day 4-We take the scenic drive into the park. M-22, along the lakeshore & over 30587 towns. Finally we pull into the Platte River campground on the southern edge of the park & they are full. Since when do campgrounds get full on Thursdays? :mad: The volunteer calls DH Day campsite & they have one open. Good thing I am a professional driver, less than :20 minutes later it's still available. Barely. There was a woman & her grandkids in front of us, trying to "rent" the spot for the weekend. Fortunately, the rules say you must occupy the site on night one. YEA!!! So we set up camp. It's about a quarter mile hike to the dunes & lakeshore, NO, not those dunes. The day is magnificent. More surprisingly is the clarity of the water. I have never seen water this clear in the midwest, I was shocked. It was that way all the way out to the water being over my head. Damn it's nice to be above the pollution zone. Green Bay seems to be the cut off. SO, I swim around & look at the North & South islands. I wade into the water, about chin deep, checking out the point. There were even breakers, in the strictest sense. :lol:

That night, we took our telescope & firewood & went to the beach to star gaze. Much to our kids irritation. :D The milky way was visible & not being near any city, the sky was full. Beautiful. That is the best part of living in the desert, the night sky.

Second day, pretty much tthe same. Add to the sunburn & relax. The next night trip to the beach was even better. Not only is it a moonless night, we saw the Aurora Borealis. Not many colors because it was so far south, but it was there just the same. Spirals & spirals of light, pointing to the sky, for about 1/4 the horizon. We were checking maps to make sure it wasn't a city. This was a north facing beach & the only thing up there is the U.P., about 70-100 miles away & Canada, with nothing in our way. My wife said it was a wonderful birthday present.

Day 6-ok, I hate my kid. My wife is getting grumpy at him ( he's a natural city kid:( ). Time to leave. Back to hell. But wait, there's always my computer. :D

If you can't make the mountains, I absolutely recommend SBDNL

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
looks goergous gonz. hopefully in late OCT ill be up by marquette doing a little hunting.

leslie

That looks wonderful Gonz! And it's not too far from me, I can put it on my summer vacation wish list :D

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
No desert, Flavio. Sand dunes butting up against forest or fields of green. Very weird, but very nice. I've hated everything between CO & PA until now.