Signature Links

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Most people know that I've got a new domain now, thus the change in my signature. So, it leads to a tech site. There's a million of them out there, what's one more. Ok, more to the point. My signature has two links in it. I changed my signature in another forum for techs and got a PM today telling me that I broke the AUP and would be banned if I didn't change it. Wait a minute. I've spent over two years on this forum using a link to my ld website and now that I run a site that more tech help oriented, I'm all the sudden banged on. Over 4000 posts I've done and nearly everyone has been in support of others. I PMed the guy back and let into him about he treatment of long term members. I told him that maybe BIOS Central wasen't a "all round" tech site, it was still a tech site.

I found it really low for them to do that to someone who's been helping out for all that time. So, after laying into this dork, I told him if he didn't like it, to change it himself and then ban me, cause I ain't coming back to this place again. Now, I get an email telling me how sorry he was and yada, yada, yada...

So, would you say that in terms of netique (spelling that wrong I think), would it be acceptable to have a person have links in his/her signature or not? Is it wrong to have a link in ones signature even if the site you signature appears in is similar to the one you have?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It really depends on the policy of the site... if the content of the link in the person's signature is against it, then it's only fair to not allow the link.

However, that's a load of crap when your BIOS Central sig was allowed and then he goes and threatens to ban you when you change it to Comp Techs

Selective censorship like that is one of the reasons places like Xi and OTC are formed...

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
It really peved me because of all the help I offered people. I never once told anyone to ever edit their sig. Hell, I encouraged it. I posted links to other BIOS forums and sites on my old site...I just don't get it I guess.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Let me get this straight...BC was ok & you later changed the sig link. Was the initial email a "form email" sent by the site, automatically or was it sent, specifically regarding YOU. If it was a standard practice warning email, then ignore it & tell the guy to change his policy. If it was to you specifically, then, piss on that.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
It was a PM to me. He didn't like the fact that I was now inking to to a site that did the same thing.