Scandisk enters after restarting

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I reinstalled Win98 SE in a machine @ office. Since then every time you restart the system, Scandisk will prompt and search for errors. It says that system was not properly shutt off, even if it was. Anyone had experienced this anoying problem?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
My Computer \ C:

Right click on MSDOS.SYS (if you don't see it, go to View \ Folder Options and select "Show hidden files and folders") and remove the check from Read-Only in the properties box

Double click on it and open it with Notepad

Add the following line just below [Options]

Code:
AutoScan=0
This should disable Scandisk upon "bad" shutdown.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Hmmm.. sweet.

I've had this occasionally.. if I've had a system crash, it will think it wasn't shut down properly the next few times as well..

Is your system overclocked (and if not, why not?? ;))? Try dropping it to default & see if it still happens..
Also try emptying your recycle bin & temp files.. that seemed to calm things down for me.. :confused:

S

s4

You can also do that from within Windows. Use the Run command in the start menu to load msconfig.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 5
S

s4

Just click on the Advanced button.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 5

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
a13 the comp is not OC'ed. Why not? Well it's running at my office :). s4 thaks for the tip, but that would disable the running after the real bad shut downs. I was looking for a more logical reasons for this annoying problem, but since I put this topic in another 2 boards a didn't get it, I suppose it doesn't exist :D Now I'm getting used to it. :)