ohhh lilo. I love you

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Discovered a little quirk tonight under RedHat Linux 7.1. It has to do with X-CDRoast (a sweet program for cookin' some cd's with). To this point I haden't copied a cd under linux so I never noticed the issue. I've only copied data from the drive toa cd. Tonight I wanted to burn a copy of a disk. Well, I discovered that unless BOTH IDE drives are using scsi emulation then you can't. XCDRoast scans the SCSI bus for available devices, but wont use IDE devices. That is, IDE devices that aren't using SCSI emulation. In order to fix this, I had to modify a file. In XCDRoast, it lists available devices for use. in my case, it was listing my cdrw only and not my cdrom drive. In order to get it to see my cdrom drive, I had to modify one file. The dreaded lilo.conf. Actually, it's pretty easy. Using your favorite test editor and running it under superuser or su, open lilo.conf. This file is located in the /etc directory.

You may or may not have a line in the image section called append. Either way, this is how it is done.

Go to the last line in the image section and place the cursor under the last entry. Now add the following line to create scsi emulation for a particular device

append="hdd=ide-scsi"

This basically runs hdd, the secondary slave, device under scsi emuation. cdrecord, which is required for XCDRoast, will now see the device after lilo is rerun and the system rebooted.

To add more than one device to it, then the following will be a good line to work with. Your device chain may be different than mine:

append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Note that there are two devices now, seperated by a space only (important part).

Once your happy with your lilo.conf file, save the file and rerun lilo:

/sbin/lilo

Reboot and from a prompt type:

cdrecord -scanbus

You should see the devices that are now using scsi emulation.

I probably went to fast and missed a lot here, but I'm writing this ont he fly and targeting Linux users. If you really want me go in depth I will. Just let me know.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Damn it a13...how many times I gotta tell you. The Linux cd..NOT the Windows one!. :D :D :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
No, no, NO, that's not the CD-ROM drive! No---ACK! YOU JUST STUCK IT IN YOUR FUCKING 5.25" DRIVE! *sigh* It's that thing you used to sit your coffee cup on. Yes. OK, good. OK, let me know how it goes.

^-- Hard to imagine I actually had this part of a conversation with someone.