Missile Defense

S

s4

The US is testing a missle defense system and the most recent was sucessful. What do you think of this? I am of the opinion that 100 million per test is kind of steep when there are homeless and jobless people that need places to live and food in their stomach. It seems to me that the US always has money to spend on military and foreign aid but when it comes to the people that live here, the US Government doesn't care about them.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
we live in a free, representative republic(sorry-not a democracy), built on free-enterprise. the homeless should get a job.
the government spends in excess of $2,000,000,000,000 per year-what's 100,000,000? the still have room for 2billion more tests

S

s4

The only problem with that way of thinking is that the government got that money from hard-working taxpayers, and it doesn't come without a price. You say that the homeless and jobless should get a job, but what if there aren't any to get? The job market is slowing all across the country.

You also say our economy is built on free enterprise. The North American Free Trade Agreement is moving manufacturing jobs out of the country. Soon there were only be service and other types of jobs that don't pay much for the average citizen. I don't see how the Government is helping free enterprise when some other nations are getting jobs that used to pay good money for Americans.

As for them having all kinds of money to blow on missile tests, that money comes from somewhere, why not just give it back to people instead and use it to strengthen the economy?

I would have voted for the Democrat last time but didn't for personal reasons.

Gonzo

Staff member
Just because I state facts doesn't mean I believe in them.
I , however, DO believe that the current state of Unions in the USA is the main cause of man. jobs going away. There is no reason to pay some assembly worker @ GM/Ford/Dodge $25.00 an hour to put lug nuts on. Of course Bill Gates shouldn't be worth 50gazillion dollars either-there should never be a limit on the top gross a person can make but a little common sense & less greed would be nice-c'mon $27000. for a Taurus?

It's a damned conspiracy I tell ya.:lurk:

S

s4

I just think the whole world is screwed up in general. The Taurus is made in Mexico if I remember correctly or at least some of the parts for it are.

I'm tired and going to forget this stuff tonight.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Actually, a lot of the Taurii are made right here in my home town. Gonzo, I like the way you think. :)

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by HomeLAN
Actually, a lot of the Taurii are made right here in my home town. Gonzo, I like the way you think. :)

That's the problem with being a truck driver-you have time to figure out the worlds problems & have nobody to report it to

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Whereas I have all kinds of people to report it to, and none of them give a crap.

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
The problems with missile defense.

1. That the system MUST be 100% reliable. Mistakes=cratered cities, just like missile command.

2. That is MUST be continuously developed. By the time that we get ONE battery up, there will be cloaking, weasel, chaff and other counter measures as cheap additions to current missile technology.

3. That we MUST be prepared to sustain a war based economy to back up and fund the OTHER systems needed to support a good missile defense system. Mainly the conventional and nuclear forces. The reason is that once we get a solid missile defense, we cannot allow a conventional means to overcome it.

The end result of our refusal to maintain the ABM treaty is the unabashed proliferation of missile and warhead technology that we SHARE with the Russians and Chinese now (some above the table, most under the table).

There is NO way that putting up a missile shield will increase national security or peace of mind, both of which it is intended to do.

The very nations that it is intended to 'defend' against DO NOT HAVE MISSILES CAPABLE OF REACHING US ANYWAY.

The whole idea is bogus and smacks at a 'New World Order', which is either new or ordered.

Gonzo

Staff member
Before we go any further-as of 07/17/01 I am not sure if I support the missle defense proposition or not-however I do like the concept of defensive preparation "the best way to assure peace is to prepare for war".

Originally posted by patweb
The problems with missile defense.

1. That the system MUST be 100% reliable. Mistakes=cratered cities, just like missile command.
If 40% of the missles are hit, that means (potentially) 40% fewer casualties. Therefore, like baseball, a bad average is still better than none at all.

2. That is MUST be continuously developed. By the time that we get ONE battery up, there will be cloaking, weasel, chaff and other counter measures as cheap additions to current missile technology.
We already ("we" being all countries with an army, etc) continually update & upgrade technology

3. That we MUST be prepared to sustain a war based economy to back up and fund the OTHER systems needed to support a good missile defense system. Mainly the conventional and nuclear forces. The reason is that once we get a solid missile defense, we cannot allow a conventional means to overcome it.
Ronald Reagan(whom I despise) said (and EVERYBODY failed to hear) once the Star Wars initiative is in place, we GIVE the technology to EVERYBODY-thus eliminating the need & usefulness of nukes. America has never been invaded because of an armed populace & distance to any real threat.

The end result of our refusal to maintain the ABM treaty is the unabashed proliferation of missile and warhead technology that we SHARE with the Russians and Chinese now (some above the table, most under the table).
the ABM treaty was with a government that no longer exists, thus we can't break it
There is NO way that putting up a missile shield will increase national security or peace of mind, both of which it is intended to do. Nat'l Security is enhanced, PoM-YOU ARE CORRECT

The very nations that it is intended to 'defend' against DO NOT HAVE MISSILES CAPABLE OF REACHING US ANYWAY.

I'm not scared of Nations-I'm scared of Rogue leaders & rebels with nothing to lose ie Ossama(?)BinLaden

The whole idea is bogus and smacks at a 'New World Order', which is either new or ordered.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Alot of Ford parts are made here in Canada. Magna which is in Newmarket , Ontario makes hinges, handles, wipper pumps.....and shit load of other things.

Just though I'd throw that in there.;)