http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

S

s4

I put this in the SE forum so most people here would see it. This bill in Congress sounds pretty bad from what I'm reading at this site. Has anyone else heard about the SSSCA bill or know anything about it?

[QUOTEURL=http://www.stoppoliceware.org/]
The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more.
[/QUOTEURL]

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That violates our freedom. Plain and simple. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. It is a violation of our freedom. One of the paramount reasons this country is the greatest country in the world is that we are free and do not have Big Brother breathing down our necks. For this bill to be signed and made a law would go against EACH AND EVERY ONE of the values of the founding fathers of this country. This bill is unlawful and it should be torn up and thrown in the trash.

I hope nobody will mind if I stick this topic, because that's what's happening right now.

S

s4

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Another quote from the page: http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I doubt it will happen; even if it does, someone will figure out a way around it.

Whatever happened to that device that was supposed to allow the FBI to monitor all email sent over the net? Did that die a quiet death?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Should this become law, you'll see the affects everywhere. Bill G will no longer be the richest man alive. Macs will be the only standing computer mfr left, because WE WILL ALL STOP USING THEM(and apple is so stupid they won't notice). The economy will collapse & we will live like Afghanis.

Huge said:
Whatever happened to that device that was supposed to allow the FBI to monitor all email sent over the net? Did that die a quiet death?

No, they're using it as we speak-the terrorist threat thing & all

S

s4

See what happens is sometimes Bills in Congress get passed as part of a larger piece of legislation that goes through. This one in particular might slip by as part of something else and attention to its' details might not be discovered until it has already passed. If I'm not mistaken, the recording industry tried to get legislation passed as part of the relief package for the WTC relief. They were not successful. The recording industry doesn't give a crap about American values or the people of this country. They only care about making money.

jopes

Your Nightmare
Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.

This is the biggest line of crap I have ever F'n seen.

SO because I decide to use FreeBSD I am going to go to jail?

Ok fine. I guess I just keep one of these nice duel Tbird systems for all of my entertainment, and another system to look like I am a good boy.

oh shit, what about the billion computers out there already. they going to force everyone to buy new ones?

BAH

S

s4

I believe that the recording industry tried to put legislation in with the relief legislation for NY but it was taken out. Special interest groups could care less about you or me as long as they make money.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Originally posted by jopes

oh shit, what about the billion computers out there already. they going to force everyone to buy new ones?

BAH

The Intel lobbyists hard at work!:D