how many references do you have?

S

s4

Please don't move this to the auto forum. It's more about people than cars.

I recently sold an old car for a couple hundred bucks and found out something interesting. This woman that was interested in the car went to every bar she could think of asking if anyone knew me or my brother and if we would take her on a car deal. I had no idea of this or I would have refused to sell it to her.

I had about $400 in the car and was not happy with it, so I sold it cheap to keep from having to work on it. I can't believe someone would go around checking me out over something stupid like that. It's the last time I ever go buy some car in the hopes of making a few bucks.

During the last week or so, I learned that people have no intentions of dealing straight with me and being honorable gets me shit on. I gave this guy my word that I would buy the car and then after I left with it the next day, I discovered someone had done something to it before I picked it up. The only reason I went back that day was because I had given my word that I would buy it. I had second thoughts that second day but had made a promise. That promise cost me money.

I found in the last week that I don't like to deal with people and that car buying and selling sucks.

s4 thinks a cold brew sounds pretty good but wont do it

fury

Administrator
Staff member
what exactly were you complaining about?

you sold the car, didn't you?

S

s4

Originally posted by fury
what exactly were you complaining about?

you sold the car, didn't you?

Actually there are two major points to be made here. The first is that the guy that sold me the car lied like hell about it, and I got screwed bad. I tried to be honest and keep my word to this guy telling that I'd buy it and he gave me a screwing.

The second is that I tried to be honest and square, hell I even went to the junk yard and paid for the parts to fix it. Then I find out these people are checking for character references over a damn $250 that I was trying to get out of it. I had actually advertised for 350 but told several people that I would take 250. I finally settled for $200, and I included $52 that I spent on parts.

In the course of a week I spent $400 on this car and sold for $200.

What am I bitching about?

1) got cheated buying it
2) had real problems getting it home -- I mean real problems
3) spent money and time (traveled 100 miles for parts)
4) sold for less than I wanted
5) found out someone went asking every drunk in town if I was a good guy
6) car was good looking and had 88k miles -- i put up with a lot of crap trying to get rid of it for that kind of money
6a) never buy a Mazda 626 even if it has the high performance engine and racing clutch and purrs quietly

I'm kind of put out about the whole thing and am not buying any more cars like that. No, I didn't just sell it. I practically had to beg someone to take it off my hands. If I had known it would be like that, I would have called the junk yard to come get it.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
{{ s4 }}

Sometimes people are just shitty. How did you find out she was doing that, anyways?

Not all people are going to be like that, s.

:lurk:

S

s4

Someone told my brother about it. There is no way this guy could have known than we sold her a car. It just happened over the weekend, and she was at the bars Friday night.

I was incorrect about one thing. I drove over 160 miles trying to get parts. I drove 100 miles to one junkyard and about 60 miles to another one.

A good six pack still sounds inviting. :beerchug:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
s4, first of all...don't drink a beer!
second of all, GET THE HELL OUT OF HICKSVILLE!! those people sound like they're all from a Steven King novel.....please think about moving!

S

s4

I'd love to move, but it's not that simple. Don't worry I'm not gonna get drunk over meeting some people that I don't like very well. Then they would have gotten a total victory causing me to ruin my health. As it is, they only got the better of me.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Sometimes I do worry about you...
if you ever wanna yak on icq, you know where to find me.

BigDadday

Everday People
You know the saying about getting a life? Well the party who did this needs one and hate to tell you this but as you get older it doesn't go away cuz there's always some idjit out there like that and hopefully your not a magnet that attracts that type. Hey if you like working on cars don't let it stop you cuz 1 fool did this to you. BD:wave:

Bronto

mofo extraordinaire
Hiyas
Damn she doesn't have much to talk about. Thats one heck of an opening liner to use in all those Bars. For a Car to be sold at that low of a price. Buyer has to find out why. Her method is a unique one, possibly smart. She may have found out from others who have seen the car and how it runs.
Guy was telling me how at a Car aution he was at. Forty plus cars were on the block and only 25 people there to bid on them. He got 1996 Geo for $40 bucks was in mint condition too.
Bronto
BTW hello again everyone :D

S

s4

Actually, her method of looking into character references borders on being illegal.

I am very much sick of dealing with people and am out of the buying and selling biz. The next time I have a car to sell, I'll probably drive it until it falls apart and junk it.