Have you ever seen a black squirrel?

S

s4

I saw a black squirrel today when I was out shopping. It ran across the road in front of me. Thankfully it was about a half block ahead. I have never seen one that is black. I know they don't grow wild like that around here or at least I've never seen one that color. It was so cute. Has anyone here seen a black squirrel before?

Yes I know, the other day it was helicopters. Now, it's squirrels. Perhaps, my idea for a new business is not so good.:eek:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Put the tinfoil hat away. I've seen a few in my midwestern wanderings.

S

s4

I knew there was such a thing but just never saw one before. I'm not putting my tinfoil hat away. Never.

LOL@Unc :laugh:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I see them at my mom's place every once and a while.
But none here around the house.

greenfreak

My sister brought home a baby squirrel and we kept it as a pet. He wasn't black though. I think they only live for like 4 years or something. He was adorable.

BigDadday

Everday People
In Kent Ohio where Kent State U is there are alot of them and they are not kept down by the browns squirrels there at least.:)

greenfreak

Went googling for squirrels... Something funny I found on a message board:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never realized until we moved out a bit to where there are trees and birds, what a menace to decent society is the common ground squirrel. And no creature matches their diabolically clever ability to empty our birdfeeders onto the ground, and then stuff their little gluttonous maws with our hard-purchased and carried birdseed, and cart off the rest to their dens of iniquity.

No "squirrel-resistant" birdseed protecting device has succeeded in keeping them off for any length of time. The installation of a slippery dome above the feeder has resulted in their current practice of launching themselves sideways from a tree branch, at about a twenty degree down-angle, and landing faultlessly on the feeder, which they then shake back and forth until empty.

Our purchase of a super-soaker (r) pressured water-gun has produced some short-term satisfaction, but they always come back. So when I returned home today, the feeder was again empty.

Curse their furry arses, why Noah saved them is entirely beyond me. They are the living representation of nearly all of the the seven deadly sins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The replies are funny too.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I would like to see the squirrel-proof feeder.

..and yes we had mostly black squirrels in our yard in Ohio back in the day

unclehobart

this is my special title
It was a model that stuck to windows with 4 sucker feet so you could make the approach difficult. The feeder itself only has one landing peg and one feed hole to work from for the invading squirrel. The outer faceplate in which the peg is attached to is independent from the food hopper and feed hole. It drops down an inch, covering the feed hole, whenever something more than 8 ounces puts its weight upon it. Birds are light, squirrels two and three times as heavy. Since there is only room for one critter at a time, the mechanism can easily distinguish nice and light proper birds from chunkafied tree rats.

I saw it on like the first episode of Ripleys believe it or not. They set it up under the most easy conditions for the squirrels to muck with it... and they couldn't crack it. Swarms of squirrels all over it, and not a one could break in. I guess they would have to resort to picking up sloppy bird handling seed off of the ground.

S

s4

What's so bad about squirrels getting into the birdseed? I mean if you are going to feed the birds why not feed the squirrels too? What's the big deal?:confused:

Outlaw69

Banned
black squirrels are very common in Toronto.
I just looked off my balcony and I can see about a half dozen running around.