Genome@Home priority question

fury

Administrator
Staff member
How do I raise the priority of Genome@home so it has a higher priority than other apps?

I find the weirdest things taking up my CPU time now, like just scrolling down a page can use up to 50% of my CPU time.

I think I can stand waiting for my screen to draw as long as I know Genome@Home is getting most of the CPU cycles.

So how do I raise its priority in Windows 98se to say, one level higher than IE?

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Only thing with that is that you have to reset it every time you restart (which hopefully isn't all that often ;)). I'm sure there's a registry setting or something which tells the client what priority to use as well..

As for that program, It's great, isn't it? I've got an older version somewhere that doesn't ask you if you're sure you want to shut it down, & doesn't "expire" after 50 uses... click on the little circle in the bottom right-hand corner..

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Believe it or not, that task manager crashed when I tried to set Genome's priority higher.

But I've had Win2k and installed XP since I posted this message - the built-in task manager does a nice job of letting me set the client's priority, and those things that used to oddly take up the CPU for no reason no longer do. They respect Genome's prioritah! :cool: