Dan Quayle was right???

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
let the money flow stop & all kinds of interesting things happen

PASADENA, Calif. — Turns out actress Candice Bergen really did agree with Dan Quayle.

Ten years ago, then-Vice President Quayle criticized Bergen's Murphy Brown TV character for "mocking the importance of fathers by bearing a child alone and calling it just another 'lifestyle choice."'

"I never have really said much about the whole episode, which was endless," Bergen said Tuesday. "But his speech was a perfectly intelligent speech about fathers not being dispensable and nobody agreed with that more than I did."

In May, Quayle touted the moral value of The Osbournes, MTV's hit series about the profanity-filled home life of rocker Ozzy Osbourne and his family.

Quayle liked that the offensive words are bleeped and the show features what he called two "loving parents."

"That Dan, you just can't predict him," Bergen said, laughing. "I think that all of us feel that family values have to sort of come back front and center. I don't know if he watched The Osbournes because he certainly never watched Murphy Brown, which didn't stop him from talking about it."

leslie

I always did agree with his first speech about family values. I think he got an unfortunate bum rap for that.

Gato_Solo

He just picked the wrong target. Murphy Brown was a comedy. If it was a show that was to be taken seriously, I'm sure the reaction would've been much different.