Cable Modems

BigDadday

Everday People
I just got mine last week or so and for the first time tried a leak test and my computer didn't even show a firewall when I have both Zone Alarm Pro and Norton Internet Security which are both set on high. What I'm concerned about is if I should invest in the price of a router or ? Any ideas out there,:(

Not only that but it's actually slow. As when peole are using there cable tv it makes mine slower.Considering DSL!:cry:

Acid

stud
It shouldn't. Cable TV and Broandband Cable are on two different frequencies...some cable guy told me that. If it's doing that, your modem or their setup is messed up.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I ran in stealth mode with ZA. Same with Sygate Personal Firewall, which is in now. There's no need to run ZA and Norton. The speed will vary-try www.dslreports.com/tools to check your speed & settings.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
SMC Barricade... 4 port 10/100 hub, DHCP server, broadband router (DSL or Cable), Analog router (56K external modem), Print Server, NAT Firewall, $80.00 US.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I have an SMC Barricade too. Excellent product and outstanding customer service.
However, if your line speed is way below what it's supposed to be I'd definately call the cable company and complain.

BigDadday

Everday People
Originally posted by Gonzo
I ran in stealth mode with ZA. Same with Sygate Personal Firewall, which is in now. There's no need to run ZA and Norton. The speed will vary-try www.dslreports.com/tools to check your speed & settings.

Good site Gonzo and I showed stealth in all my ports but wonder why that leak test failed. I still had on my ZA and NIS. My NIS did detect it first.BD:wave:

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
That is a good site. Hey everybody, benchmark your cable performance over 10 consecutive tests and publish the average here just for yuks. The last time I tried it I averaged just under 2 mbps.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
All these problems with cable modems, yeesh.. good thing I'm getting DSL (hopefully anyway... did anybody hear an echo in here?) :cool: