Building Question

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
How do I go about setting up a computer but using the HD (with all info on it) from an old computer.

New parts
Mobo
CPU
modem
memory
floppy
video card
case

Old parts
2 HD's
CDWR

I'm picking up the parts in an hour.

PLEASE HELP.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
You have 2 HDD listed in the old parts list. Do you want to use both of them, or just one?

alex

when you get it all together and fire it up, windows will find all the new mobo devices and may cause conflicts cause it don't always get rid of old mobo devices. Since you are getting new modem and new video, I personally would recommend a fresh install.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
The old video card in there was a peice of crap. I think it just set as a basic video card so it shouldn't give me too many problems.
I would like to start from scratch but the guy has a lot of quotes that he was working on and needs to keep them.

We'll find out tonight how it goes as I'm taking it home with me to work on tonight. **fingers and toes crossed**

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
It's always a risky proposition, but you can just slap the stuff in there and let Windows figure it out, with one notable exception. If you are changing away from an older mobo meant for a AMD chip with a Via chipset, you have a higher probability of running into problems. You can minmize this by going into device manager, and removing all devices related to the mobo (motherboard resources, etc), but NOT the advanced power management, or plug'n'play BIOS. Do not restart the computer when prompted. Remove them all, and then shut down. Then swap your parts.

All that being said, a clean install would be preferable. If you're coming off of an Intel platfrom, though, you should be fine.