bitchen...

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I just read your sig and I'm kinda learning how to use linux a bit from brainsoft and I wa son his dad's computer yesterday (he and brain both run linux) and I found in the "Toys" section of "Amusement" this thing called a "tea cooker" as far as I can tell when you open it a little tea cup shows up at the bottom of the screen and then times of different lengths of steeping for different types of teas. Do you know if that is all this is for or if it has some secret purpose that I can't seem to figure out?

bitchen

Dude!
You're welcome to PM me! I didn't even see the thread. I don't read them all... :)

It's a tea timer.

The tea cooker is a program which will remind the user when their tea, be it earl grey, fruit, or some user defined (i.e. psilocybe) tea is finished brewing.

source

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx bitchen! i thought that was what it is but at the same time i found the concept a bit weird (and still do)

bitchen

Dude!
You don't hang around programmers much, do you? :)

Someone wrote it because they could.

p.s. Why isn't your picture in the gallery?

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
It was, then I had it taken down for various reasons...I'll talk to Neo or my buddy fury about getting one out back up.

I know that programmers write stuff just because they can, I've seen some of the stuff brainsoft's written but i don't understand why they WANT to write such foolish programs.

bitchen

Dude!
I can walk across the street to Neo's tonight and see if he still has it around. :p

Programming is creation. It's very much an art form for many pure hacker/programmers.

Why did Leonardo paint Mona Lisa? Because he knew he had the skill to create a beautiful thing. Because he could.

Why does Billy Joel play the piano? Because he is skilled and he can create beautiful things.

It's all about the sheer enjoyment of being able to create something (in the case of programs, something almost with a life of it's own) using skills you know you have.

If the program has a punch line, we know others could enjoy it to even if it's only purpose is the punchline (like a tea timer).

Take a look at my Krauskopizer. It does something novel, it converts text into the way a friend of mine (Bill Krauskopf) talked. Why? 'Cause I could. 'Cause some people--not the least of which, me-- found it hilarious. It's simply uncanny, the way it came out, IT'S BILL! :)

But mostly because the damn thing--after hours of work--is almost intelligent! A living, breathing thing!

Creation! The programmer's high.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
OK, Bitchen, come down off the ladder, slowly. "why are your eyes so red? Guards, take this man for a pee test, he's apparently been in the drug cabinet again"

bitchen

Dude!
Let's think about this. Compare these two pictures. Vote for the one most likely on drugs. :D

Attachments

• choose.gif
    choose.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 21

bitchen

Dude!
Originally posted by Gonzo
Drugs . . . make the user cut thier hair

Wha...huh? What planet are you from? Of the drug fiends you've met or seen, what percentage have longer than normal hair?

That's just silly... :)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by bitchen

Wha...huh? What planet are you from? Of the drug fiends you've met or seen, what percentage have longer than normal hair?

That's just silly... :)

actually most had short hair-they had day jobs-the musicians were about 60/40 long but outside of that I'd guess 65/35 short

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Herion addicts get generalized as having short hair. Potheads with long hair. Potheads can't really be called "fiends" tho'.

I've got short hair but don't do herion.