Ashcroft to Restructure Justice Dept.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I get the feeling we're about to get shafted by the part of the story that's not wriiten

By KAREN GULLO, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Attorney General John Ashcroft plans to announce a restructuring of the Justice Department , including a revamping of the FBI and the immigration service, to better fight terrorism, a senior department official said Wednesday.

The five-year plan, which Ashcroft is to present in a meeting Thursday with his top deputies and other employees, will reflect a new emphasis on preventing terrorism and prosecuting terrorists, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The FBI has already shifted resources to focus on investigating and disrupting additional terrorist attacks, though agents continue to investigate the Sept. 11 attacks and anthrax cases.

The Justice Department restructuring was in the works before Sept. 11, but after the attacks, Ashcroft said fighting terrorism was the department's top priority.

Some lawmakers have complained that the FBI has devoted too many resources to dealing with such crimes as drug trafficking, bank robberies and environmental abuse that could be handled by other law enforcement agencies or local police.

The pressure has increased since the Sept. 11 attacks.

``The FBI should focus on investigating federal terrorism crimes and either end or scale back its involvement in a wide array of crimes,'' said Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, in an Oct. 23 letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller.

Ashcroft is expected to reiterate plans to restructuring the Immigration and Naturalization Service separating the enforcement and service functions of the agency.

unclehobart

this is my special title
...in a cost saving move, the FBI has streamlined the justice process from arrest to booking striaght to execution... all complaints may be addressed to the hand 'cause the face don't wanna hear it.

K

krusty

well that tears it... I ain't never coming to the states... I'll get executed at the border.

Which way is east dammit?

S

s4

They would never do that to a big star like you. Btw, how's Pam doing these days?:spin: