Somebody shoot me

K

krusty

make sure its plugged in first.. :D

what do you want the PC speaker to do?

S

s4

If you have a sound card installed, it may keep the speaker from working.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
the PC speaker is plugged in. What I want it to do is beep whenever a program sends a beep command. :retard:

Pretty wacky use for a PC speaker, eh?

I've never heard any beeps out of this thing when I should have (like when mIRC wants to beep, it doesn't, etc.)

Things that I specifically recall causing the system to beep, like holding in both ctrl's and both shift's, no longer do so, etc etc.

And while I'm at it, something seems to be detracting from my performance. Browsing some sites in IE can be very slow and dragged out, for instance, and when I click the Favorites or the Start button and move to a popup it takes about 5-10 seconds for a menu item to highlight and another second for it to expand.

Another thing, Quake 3 crashes out to the desktop half the time when playing, leaving the snapshot of the moment that I was playing on the desktop and giving me a very very bright task bar

Something tells me this stuff is not supposed to happen :(

Oh, I know what's telling me that, the fact that Win2k wasn't this oddly sluggish and broken last time I had a hardware configuration it didn't hate! :smash:

S

s4

My pc speaker doesn't beep either if it gets a beep command. Having a sound card plugged in keeps the os from sending commands to the speaker. However, if there is a system error at the bios level, it will beep.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Just reinstalled. Still got the sluggishness and instability and silence. :mad:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I don't think I've ever really had a go at getting a PC Speaker to work.. maybe your cables are dead?? If it's plugged in to the right pins (and the right orientation - I've done that with the power switch before :rolleyes:) and you don't have a PCI sound card installed, then either a dead speaker or dead wires are the only thing I can think of..

You have another system there, right? Try setting it up next to that machine & dragging the wires across.. see if you can get the speaker to work in the other PC.. :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
In XP, the speaker does emit some beeps, so I'm pretty sure the speaker isn't dead. It's silent enough to appear that way in Win2k though, and I'd be fooled into thinking so if it weren't for the fact that the post beep works