postcode

unclehobart

this is my special title
how close are you to all of that forest fire activity? Its been all over the national news since threat alerts hit level 5. I just saw a news report that the military is being called into the action.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
The Quartz creek fire is the closest to here. All the rest are fairly far away, most being in Western Oregon where it's the hottest. Were safe here, but we've also had a few within a few miles of town. Little ones that were quickly contained. For the most part though were pretty far away from all the action. I thought about being a fire jumper a few years ago after the military but never did get around to it. The level 5 has more than one meaning though. It also means were up shit creek without a paddle when it comes to man power. Resources are running low, which is why they are calling up some Guard troops. This run of call ups is 200 troops. I'm not sure what other states are calling on their Guard though. I'm Washignton is as well. I wish the best for those men and woman. That's a hell of a dangerous job.

There is a fire that just started south of the Three Sisters though, called the Crane Prairie Complex. 1200 acres. Glad I visited when I did.

Here a run down of the fires in Oregon

Olallie lake Complex 44,430 acres
Monument Complex 5,500 acres
Bridge Creek 43,700 acres
Mallory 800 acres
Wolf Creek 5,500 acres
Crane Prairie Complex 1,200 acres
Quartz 5,500 acres
Lakeview Complex (4 fires) 190,000 acres
Sheepshead 43,700 acres

Most of these are scatered throughout Western Oregon, but none are contained. Quatrz fire growing the fastest and being rather close to Ashland, 10 miles. The four fires of the Lakeview Complex are scattered around Paisley and Lakeview in South Central Oregon. The biggest thus far. These are only the major ones though. Hundreads of others srout up allt he time. To many fires and not enough man power.