My computer don't stay running!

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Arrrgh! The damn thing keeps powering down just 1-2 seconds after I press the power button. I have an Abit KT7A with Duron 800. I remeber I read in some place it has a device to prevent frying the board that will power down the system when the main board fan fails. But both system and CPU fans seem to be spinning perfectly. Can a flawed PS cause this anomaly?(I tried to power without the HD and CD, same thing) It may be the power switch? Any counsel before I rebuild the damn thing over?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Immediate power-down after power-up is a symptom of the CPU Fan Off Protect, which is enabled by default if I recall.

Is the fan that you have on the CPU powered by a 4-pin PSU connector or does it go through the 3-pin header on the motherboard? If that's the case, make sure it is on the header on the top that is closest to the CPU socket. That's the one the board will shut down for if it is not receiving any RPM signal.

If it's on a 4-pin PSU connector, plug a fan in that header that uses the 3-pin connector and go into the BIOS and into the temperature/fan control section, and disable CPU Fan Off Protect, then save and exit, then unplug it. Of course, you will be shit out of luck if the fan on your CPU fails, but that doesn't happen often.

If neither of those work, it could very well be a flawed PSU. But before you make that conclusion, be sure that everything is seated correctly. All your RAM is tight and the latches are firmly in place, all your expansion cards are inserted properly and tightly screwed in, your PSU connector is on all the way, and you don't have anything obstructing the airflow to the PSU