Hello

ChaseCentral

Professional Ass-Kicker
Hey folks, I'm new to this board, but I post on NT Compatible.

I'm a senior network administrator/engineer for the DOD. I have a question for all those that are in the "know".

I'm currently in the process of building a VPN to connect my family's computers to my network. I use DSL, and can't seem to get a clear answer from Qwest as to what Cisco router series I can use for my premise router into my LAN. I know about the Cisco 675 and 678, but I'm not interested in them because they do not afford the CLI or security with ACL's that I'm looking for. Does anyone know if the 1400-series will successfully connect to the Qwest DSL lines without any other equipment? I really don't want to have to get a little crappy 675 or 678 as the entry point to my LAN. Any one have experience in this arena?

Thanks!

Ben
:smash:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That's way ahead of my extremely limited experience, but I can say welcome!

Enjoy your stay, stay as long as you like, and I hope you like it here! ;)

We've got a few network engineers lurking around here, I'm sure you will get your answer shortly :)

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Welcome to the boards!

Don't know how helpful this will be to you but I really couldn't find anything (yet) on the web.

[quoteurl=http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/1400.htm]The Cisco 1400 series is a new generation of DSL routers-powered by Cisco IOS software, for small and medium-sized businesses and small branch offices of enterprises.

The Cisco 1400 series offers high-speed internet and intranet access with advanced security, high quality-of-service, ease-of-use, and management. The Cisco 1400 series is a key part of Cisco`s comprehensive end-to-end DSL networking solutions.

The Cisco 1401 router features a 10BaseT Ethernet interface and an ATM25 interface, which allows connectivity to an ATM cell-based WAN infrastructure. The ATM25 interface provides an external demarcation point as required by many telcos and can be combined with an external ATM25 (ADSL) modem to provide high-speed Internet/intranet access up to 8 Mbps.

The Cisco 1417 router features a 10Base-T Ethernet interface and an integrated ADSL DMT modem, with integrated ATM capabilities. The Cisco 1417 can be connected to DSL Access Multiplexors (DSLAMs) which implement the ANSI ADSL DMT Issue-2 specification, such as the Alcatel DMT issue 2 DSLAMs.

Key Features and Benefits
Cisco 1400 series routers delivers important ATM and multiprotocol benefits to small offices, including quality of service (QoS) and scalable bandwidth at unprecedented price and performance points.

Multiprotocol Cisco IOS Support

Quality of Service UBR

Quality of Service CAR, WFQ, RSVP

IETF PPP over ATM

Virtual Private Network (VPN) (available in 12.0(6)T)

Tunneling

IPSec (available in 12.0(6)T), GRE, L2F, L2TP

IOS Firewall

Cisco IOS Firewall (available in 12.0(6)T) includes CBAC for dynamic firewall filtering, denial-of-service detection and prevention, Java blocking, and real-time alerts

User Authentication PAP/CHAP (PPP over ATM), RADIUS, TACACS+

Ease of Use and Installation Cisco FastStep (available in 12.0(6)T), AutoInstall, color-coded ports/cables, LED status indicators

Easy IP

DHCP Server, Client and relay agent, NAT/PAT, dynamic PPP/IPCP

ATM Fault Management (OAM-F5 and ILMI), ATM MIB

Manageable via SNMP (CiscoView, CiscoWorks2000 (available in 12.0(6)T)), Telnet, and through console port

Key Element of Cisco End-to-End DSL Network

Cisco IOS QoS services allow you to implement services and policies that can maximize revenue generated and saved per unit of bandwidth capacity. Traffic classes and prioritization allow a network operator to encourage customers to classify their traffic and then transport the highest value bits during peak usage and heavy congestion periods.

These benefits enable new classes of multimedia applications that integrate data, voice, and video. Cisco 1400 series routers are ideally suited for applications such as:

High-speed Internet/intranet access

Secure access with a Cisco IOS Firewall

Multimedia/multicast applications such as video on demand (VoD), desktop Video conferencing, and distance learning

Virtual private networks (VPNs)

Cisco 1400 series routers run Cisco IOS software, the unifying thread that differentiates Cisco DSL internetworking solutions.

Its value-added Layer 2 and Layer 3 intelligence enables provisioning of managed DSL services such as VPN, while maintaining the security and data integrity for the internetwork. And Cisco IOS software is a flexible vehicle for adding new services, features, and applications to the internetwork.

The familiar Cisco IOS command-line interface (CLI) leverages the experience and training of most enterprises and service providers.

Product Positioning — For small and medium-sized businesses or small branch offices that need to connect seamlessly and securely to the Internet or to corporate networks, the Cisco 1400 series routers provide high-performance connectivity from Ethernet to an ATM cell-based DSL wide area network.

Cisco provides the broadest CPE portfolio in the DSL marketplace, offering the Cisco 605/6 PCI NIC, Cisco 633 SDSL DSU, Cisco 627 ATM25 ADSL modem, Cisco 677 SOHO/Telecommuter ADSL Router, Cisco 1400 series small office routers and Cisco 2600/3600 ATM25 network module.

Cisco`s broad portfolio of DSL CPE enables service providers to deliver cost-effective DSL solutions targeted at every category of end-user, including branch office, small and medium-sized business, SOHO, telecommuter, and consumer markets.

Quality of Service Guarantees with IOS

Advanced Security and Investment Protection with optional VPN and Firewall features

Enhanced IP Address Management with Easy IP

Extensive Multimedia Capabilities with multicast support

Ease of Use and Deployment

Efficient Network Management
[/quoteurl]