Culture

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
This has always bugged me. Assuming we Americans have culture at all, :) how is (fill in heritage/race here)culture different from American culture?

I don't mean, how is Japanese culture, for instance, different. I mean, a multiple generation American family from a Japanese heritage. They are American. How is that culture different from an muti-generational American from Ireland family?

Some claim to have (fill in heritage/race here) culture. I can't tell the differnce whether it's a black writer or a white writer. Same with songsmiths. Or painters. How is a Mexican balladeer different from a Czechoslavakian balladeer, assuming they both write in english?

Sub-cultures exist. But isn't the American culture (shut up you French) equal? The content may reflect a heritage but the actual works are done the same aren't they?

I'm not starting a fight with this, just curious if there is really a difference. I can't see one.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if I am from any subculture, it'd probably be more polish than anything (both my grandmas were polish in culture), and I really haven't found anything that would be different from the usual American culture, except maybe my grandpa knows how to make the best bratwursts in the world :headbang:

But then again, I don't have any other family to base my observations on, so I don't really know for sure.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I mean, a multiple generation American family from a Japanese heritage. They are American. How is that culture different from an muti-generational American from Ireland family?

It certainly depemds on the number of generations and how stubborn the individuals are. American Indians still do a decent job at preserving much of their culture.