Athlon Temps not being overclocked...??

Hey all,

Quick question...But Before the question: I hate Celsius temperature listings :D

I'm a good old American and I use Fahrenheit.

I have an Athlon 1800+ that is running about 109 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that good. Is their a temperature that I should watch out for? Without being over clocked, what would you figure an Athlon would hit (temperature wise) under heavy load?

I took the Retail processor right out of the box and installed it with a factory AMD heatsink and fan....with the factory thermal pad thingy that is stuck to the bottom of the heatsink. Is that a good thing to do. All has worked kick a$$ right fro the get go!! Is 109F a good temp? Just curious......I do not know :)

Word up :invasion:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
109 is a very good temperature. I wouldn't start to get worried until about 122, cause that's where many processors start to become unstable. Not that they can't handle being at that temperature, but you might experience crashes beginning at that temperature.

You will experience better temperatures by scraping off that thermal pad, washing it away, and then using regular thermal goop. Even the generic Radio Shack "heatsink compound" stuff is better than any thermal pad, but if you can find it locally, Arctic Silver 2 will be the best option, it can lower temperatures by sometimes as much as 10-20 degrees.

Justintime

Something
yup, thermal grease once used properly is tons better than pads, use as little as possible as a general rule, you want a thin layer on the core, thats all. up to round 55C - 60C loaded is acceptable, but would like to keep it in the 40's if possible